How to Dry Basil (easy way)
Autumn is here and I was still full of basil on my balcony… He certainly would freeze to death if I let hum outside without mercy. Poor basil 🙁 And his leaves slightly began to become wrinkled. It was time to do something.
After a few searches, I decided to dry the leaves in microwaves. And it works super well !!! Yeahaaaa 🙂 I gave a second life to my basil, and if you ask him what he thinks about it, I can assure you he’s really happy to finish his old days in my tomato sauces and other tasty meals.
PS: I try to write in english but it isn’t my first language. Sorry if you find some mistakes.
Here are the very simple steps to dry basil (and other herbs):
- First step, pick the leaves. Beware of little bugs, they come quickly along your fingers;-)
- Then, wash the leaves.
- Take a flat microwaves-safe plate.
- Cover the plate with paper towel.
- Working in batches, arrange the leaves in the paper towel.
- Cover with a second paper towel.
- Microwave in 30-second intervals until the leaves are fully dry and brittle. (it take me about 1 minute 30 to 2 minutes).
- Let cool the leaves.
- Crumble them into an airtight container and store up to three months (you can also freeze it).
Look at the pictures below for more details.