4th of July Fruits Tartlets
Tomorrow, USA will celebrate their 240th Independence Day. For this occasion, I offer you a pretty special USA fruits tart. This tart is also very tasty and fresh to start this summer.
PS: I try to write in english but it isn’t my first language. Sorry if you find some mistakes.
For 4 rectangular tartlets about 12 x 8 cm
20g Corn starch
90g Icing sugar
130g Very cold butter
36g Almonds powder
- A pinch of salt
- 500ml Milk
- 100g Sugar
- 5 Egg white
- 60g Corn starch (or flour)
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- About 500g Raspberries
- About 200g Blueberries
- Vanilla mini meringues (recipe here !)
Prep: 25 min Cook: 25 min Chill: 1 heure 30 minutes
- We start with the Shortcrust Pastry: In a mixer bowl, with paddle attachment, mix all the ingredients for the shortcrust pastry until the dough forms a ball (5 min maximum).
- Put the dough in cling-film and store at least 1 hour in refrigerator.
Roll out the dough and put it in small tartlets moulds. Prick shortcrust pastry with fork.
- Put the dough in the freezer about 30 minutes to prevent shrinks during cooking.
Preheat oven to 338° F (170° C).
Bake 25mn and let cool.
- Pastry Cream: In a saucepan, pour 500ml of milk. Scrape half of a vanilla pod with a knife, and add the vanilla beans and the pod into the milk. Bring to boil on low heat.
- Put 5 egg yolks in a bowl. Pour 100g of sugar and whisk vigorously until the mixture whitens and sugar crystals are dissolved.
- Gradually add 60g of cornstarch to egg yolks + sugar mixture. Slowly whisk, making sure there are no lumps.
- Once the mixture is well blended, pour half of the vanilla milk – just boiling – into the cream. Mix slowly first and morevigorously at the end. When the cream is soft, pour it in the remaining milk.
- Put the saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly until you can see the first bubbles, which coincides with the thickened cream. The cream must remain flexible.
- When the cream is ready, turn off heat and continue to whisk so it will cool down faster. To prevent a dry crust on the surface, gently tap the cream with 50g butter. This will help the cream to keep soft and shiny.
- Finally, the decoration: When shortcrust pastry is cold, put pastry cream on it.
- Add fruit starting from the bottom: a line of raspberries, then a line of mini meringues and a line of raspberries. Add blueberries in the upper left corner and finish with a line of mini meringues and a line of raspberries next to the blueberries.
- Déguster de suite ou conserver au réfrigérateur, couvert d’un papier film alimentaire, jusqu’à 2-3 jours. Bonne dégustation ! 🙂
- Taste it now or put them in the fridge, covered with a plastic wrap, up to 2-3 days. Enjoy ! 🙂