1st August – Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
1st August is Switzerland National Day. And for this special day, I baked Red Velvet Whoopie Pies to honors the Swiss colors. The recipe is available below with a little Confettidea tip: the sour cream was replaced by Greek yogurt. Happy Birthday to all Swiss Citizens !
For about 13 Whoopie Pies
For the whoopies:
- ½ Cup (100g) Butter, softened
- 1 Cup (160g) Brown sugar, packed
- 1 Egg
- 2 tsp Vanilla paste
- ½ Cup (130g) Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa powder
- 2 Cups (260g) All purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp Red food coloring
For the Cream Cheese filling:
- ½ Cup (115g) Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 4 Tbsp (60g) Butter, softened
- 1 tsp Vanilla paste
- 3 Cups ½ (430g) Confectioner’s sugar
Prep: 10 min Bake: 10 min
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in egg, vanilla extract, baking soda, salt, buttermilk, and cocoa powder.
- Gradually add flour a little at a time until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Stir in food coloring.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop batter onto prepared pans. Use a greased hand to gently flatten each scoop of dough.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the tops are just set.
- Cool completely.
- For the Cream Cheese Filling: In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar and beat on low speed until combined. Add vanilla paste and increase the speed to medium; beat until creamy and smooth, about 4 minutes.
- Putting it all together: Spread one whoopie pie with ~1 tablespoon of cream cheese filling. Top with a second whoopie pie.
- Enjoy now or in the next 3 days.